Saturday, November 11, 2006



As promised, here it is. The soon to be famous picture of me sitting on Paula's (meemaw) lap. What a wonderful experience it was hosting a book signing for Paula. Let me recap for you.

Friday, November 3 arrived with much anticipation. The store was a hustle and bustle of excitement not only from my staff, but hundreds of Paula's fans anxiously awaiting her arrival. You could feel the excitement in the air. All of these fans were lined up outside the door to the store, forming a line that wrapped around one of the main courts, overlooking the first level. That line wrapped back around to our front door and began running infront of the store then down infront of four other stores. This day alone, we sold $12,000 in Paula Deen cookbooks.

Around 12:20, I got the call that "the car" was arriving. So, I hurried off to welcome this lovely lady to our city and our store. As the car pulled up, butterflies began flying around in my stomach. I was so excited that I could hardly wait to see her. There, in the car with her, sitting in the front seat was Michael Groover, her husband. In the back seat were Paula and her Personal Assistant, Brandon. I extended my hand to welcome both Michael and Brandon. Then, Paula circled around from the opposite side of the car. Wow, what a radiant, genuine smile. I approached Paula and said, "I am so sorry, but I cannot simply shake your hand. I have to give you a hug." To which she responded as she spread her arms wide, "Well come on sugar, give me a big ol' hug then". Yep, we were off to a running start. We all took a moment to "rest" and chat before we entered the building. I tell you, it was like the security guard and I were from the Secret Service. As you can see in the picture above, I was all walkie and ear pieced up'd. After our short breather, we made our way to the back entrance of the store and then directly to the office which had been converted into the "green room". In the green room we had fresh cut fruit with a few delicous pastries, bottled water and diet Pepsi, one of Paula's favorites. As well as a few copies of her Celebrates book to presign and a big Williams-Sonoma tote bag full of goodies. After a quick stop in the green room, we then made our way onto the sales floor. My oh my. As soon as we entered the floor, awaiting fans began shouting, "We love you Paula". Wow, what a dedicated following Paula has. We made it to the signing table, got everyone in place and then I picked up the mic. If you don't know, I will tell you. I would rather chew my arm off than talk infront of a huge crowd. So, one would think that I would be petrified standing there with that mic in hand and looking out over the sea of people. NOPE. I was at total ease. Well, I introduced Paula and then handed the mic off to her so that she could address the crowd. Then, the signing began. What a production. All of the hard work, intense planning and anticipation was paying off. We moved right at 600 people through the store in a matter of an hour and fifteen minutes. Roughly, Paula signed 1000 autographs. Most people had two books or something else for her to sign. When the signing was over, we made our way back to the green room for a quick rest and opportunity to talk with Paula and get our books signed. As Paula was signing my books, I asked to take a quick picture of her. Her response was, as she swirled around in the chair, "Well come on sugar, sit here on meemaws lap. Come on, sit here." I was so beside myself. My assistant grabbed the camera and took the shot above.

I tell you, Paula and Michael are genuine people. They exude true love for each other and a real desire to be around people and have a good time. They believe in living life to it's fullest and being thankful for everyday that they wake to get another chance to make a difference in this world. They laugh every morning and every night and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. They both truely admire and surround themselves with those of us who come from humble beginings and work hard to be successful and effect change. I tell you, I am totally smitten with them both. Paula and Michael's lives are alot like gumbo. Filled with flavorful ingredients. And it all began with a basic roux, one that has not changed. A roux of hope, desire, passion and love.

I hope to get to visit Paula in Savannah this coming spring. My intent was expressed to her and my desire is true. This could be the begining of a beautiful....................dish.

unt

3 Comments:

Blogger Smartypants said...

I have to be honest with you...and this should come as no surprise to you...but I had no idea who Paula Deen was. And selling $12,000 of her cookbooks in one day makes me feel even more like an idiot!

Anyway, I'm glad to know you had a wonderful time. You've defintely worked hard enough to earn such a great experience and finally meet (not only meet, but host) you "celebrity of choice"!

Would you REALLY rather chew off your arm than speak in front of a crowd?? I'm surprised by this...

7:58 PM  
Blogger Dustin said...

You're so giddy. Its cute.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Char said...

I am so jealous... I'd rather meet a Chef (anyday) than an actor/actress. Good work Rob... as if we expected anything less. *huge grin*
Smoochies to you and AJ.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home